Spring cleaning is a time-honoured way to banish winter blues and give your home a revamp.
Before you begin, ensure you have a rubbish-removal plan (access to a skip or trailer) to ensure the mess doesn’t simply move from inside to outside. Focus your attention on one room or area at a time, de-cluttering and tidying before giving it a thorough clean from top to bottom.
Bedrooms and Wardrobes
Spruce up your bedding and edit your wardrobe to turn your bedroom into a restful retreat.
- Wash and pack away winter bedding; replace with summer bedlinen
- Move bed and vacuum underneath
- Turn, rotate and air mattress
- Empty drawers. Remove items no longer needed, wipe clean and organise remaining items using drawer containers or dividers
- Keep only what fits well, looks good and makes you feel great.
- Clean empty wardrobe then organise your clothes, placing similar items together.
Little people’s bedrooms can quickly become messy.
- Keep the floor clear with colourful baskets/tubs for toys, shoes, sporting equipment
- Label containers and arrange frequently used items within easy reach
- Use clear hanging shoe storage to organise small items such as hair ties and toys.
- Add a laundry basket if needed.
- Sell, donate or recycle unused or outgrown toys and clothes.
- Wash kitchen walls and ceiling.
- Clear out the pantry, remove expired foods and organise like items together.
- Empty and clean fridge, defrost the freezer if needed, discard expired food.
- Tidy drawers and cupboards
- Clean all surfaces including work surfaces and cupboard doors
- Clean all appliances, including the oven, cooktop, microwave and dishwasher, inside and out.
- Check for and safely dispose of old/unused cleaning products.
- Empty bathroom cabinets, removing expired medications and old cosmetics.
- Clean grout and replace broken seals around the shower, bath or basin.
- Check washers in taps and toilet and replace if needed.
- If conditions allow, consider adding an indoor plant to create a breath of fresh air in what can be a busy space.
- Review your collection of books, movies, music and games. Keep only what you use and really treasure.
- If you have a fireplace, use a vacuum cleaner with a brush attachment to pick up as much dust as you can before detailing with a damp cloth.
- Dust blinds, light fittings, ceiling fans, floor/ceiling vents.
- Clean windows inside and out.
- Wash soft furnishings – cushions and curtains
- Clean doorknobs, light switches, trims and picture frames.
- Consider having carpets and rugs professionally cleaned.