There’s an old saying – ‘first impressions last’ – and nothing could be truer when it comes to presenting your property for sale. That means a tidy and presentable interior and exterior, as many people will drive-by before deciding whether to inspect it on open days.
Your property is usually just one on a very long list of properties a buyer will see, so it’s crucial that they see it in the best possible light. The more desirable your property appears, the better your sale price is likely to be.
Clean, tidy, well-maintained. These are the three key presentation factors that will show your property at its best:
- Give the property a good clean, inside and out, to make it appear more liveable.
- Clear away any clutter that has accumulated in living spaces to show off the spaces better.
- Just like a used car, a property that appears well-cared for is more valuable than one that has been run down. It’s worth getting any small items fixed before sale.
Decoration: different tastes, different approaches
Not everyone’s decoration tastes are the same. It’s often safer to assume a more neutral decoration style for your open homes.
Few items to consider when decorating your home for sale:
- Paintings or mirrors to help fill blank walls
- Vases and plants for a homely feel
- Single beds to maximise the space in smaller bedrooms
- Outdoor furniture to show a buyer how they might use the area